This amazing cookie with a crunchy, golden outside dates back in time. It is the king of Albanian table every 14th of March. Originally cooked at Elbasan, now it is the symbol dish of “Summer Day”. This ancient holiday dates back to the Pagan time when locals praise for prosperous corps and good summer. The night before, massive bonfires were symbolically overpassed by children and adults as a sign of a reborn and advancing in life.
Steps of Preparation
- For preparing the lye we need three tablespoons of ashes and a glass of water. Mix the ingredients and let it sit for 30 minutes. After, carefully filter all the water.
- We start by liquidizing the butter in a medium temperature, being careful not burning it.
- In a cooper or glass pot, we start with the Butter and all the sugar. We keep steering up to receiving a homogeny mass.
- Start by adding eggs one by one. Steer well after each egg.
- Add the filtered water of lye. Keep steering.
- Start to add the flour as the last ingredient. We recommend adding a handful each time and mix well. After finishing with the flour use your hand to mix and homogenize the dough. You will know it is ready when the dough can stay still in your hand.
- Use a normal tray to bake in a preheated oven at 180 Celsius degree. Shape the dough in circular shapes, like normal biscuits, similar to the diameter of a mug.
- Butter up the tray the lie down the cookies. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes at 180 Celsius degree.
- After the baking process leaves the cookies rest and they already!