St. Stefan Montenegro
This folktale finds confirmation in written documents where St. Stefan was mentioned for the first time(1442)as an advanced guard house. It is also written that the fort was built earlier and called St. Stefan after the church with the same name constructed at the same time when the settlement in the fort was built. In ancient documents, Sveti Stefan is mentioned by the name of “place of justice” – the pivotal place of Pastrovics township and tribe. This name originated from the fact that the court “Bankada” had been sessioning in it for 400 years. It was usually done at Pjaca, a space in front of the entering gate. Tribal disputes and misunderstandings were solved at that spot until 1929.
St. Trifon Montenegro
Today it is known that this cathedral was built in 1166, in the place where at the beginning of the IX century there used to be a smaller church which was dedicated to this same saint, which was made in Roman style. In the devastating earthquake, which occurred in the XVI century, the cathedral suffered great damage. The renewal happened in the period between 1584 and 1613.
The Walls of Kotor
They were formed gradually, over the centuries, from the Illyrian hillfort to the present form defined during the 17th and 18th centuries. The length of all walls is more than 4 km; the thickness varies from 2 to 16, and the height occasionally reaches up to 20 m. The northern city gate was made in the 16th century after a successfully repulsed attack by Hayreddin Barbarossa. The entrance on the south (South gate) was guarded by three gates: the inner one from the 16th century, the middle one from the 13th century, and the outer one with a chain bridge over the underwater spring Gurdić from the 18th century. The main, Sea Gate, until the 19th century was the only access to the city from the sea.
You can enjoy these sites from our tours here.